'Realizations'

Its a dark night after tornado passed this place few hours back. Everything around is so silent, so numb including my own self. And once again this heart, this mind is going back to same place that it belongs to, to my home, to my people. There are questions thronging my end but I am turning deaf ears to them. I have come to realize certain things in past couple of days which has made me stop questioning. "I have realized that humans are just humans in all parts of world." Everywhere they respect & fear nature equally. There is nothing like superstition, its the way you look at it. I was shocked to have been refused beer bottle at 'Walmart' on Sunday but the reason for the same was even more shocking. I
was informed that 'Indiana' state has a 'Law' which prohibits the sale of Liquor on Sunday: "For religious reason". For a while I questioned myself, why back home in India we question the sanctity of religious days, festivals. Why Indians are turning away from their beliefs? Why we cannot celebrate our traditions and be confident about those? Why do we call them outdated practices? For another instance, every home out here had pumpkins, ghosts, and so many other tricks displayed at time of Halloween. It was celebrated as festival and I am not sure if anyone ever questioned it as a superstition here. Remarkable fact is that Americans had gone to the extent of displaying pumpkin shape, color in the office cubicle.
All I could think of at end of these two instances was that there is no difference in humans, their thoughts and beliefs. Its the same customs and practices at the bottom level. The values are imbibed in kids in the same way as they are done in India, Mothers here love their kids like any other Mom in the world, she has same concerns for her kids and this is true all over. No doubt there is more freedom but here too they don't mind giving you a piece of advice:
"Dear, this is a mean world and you have to protect yourself. I am a Mom and I always tell my kids to be careful and so am I telling you." For me the distance
between East and West ceased at this moment. All I could of think of was a word 'Mother', whose meaning was same all over the world. All the questions, perceptions of West developed from movies, articles, friends words were put to rest.

In the end I just discovered silence and peace within me which invoked more respect for who I am and for place that I belong to. Difficult to handle this as this realization sets a strong feeling of longingness too :(

and hence the poem 'faasla'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even This Will Pass Away

'kyon'