I want to break free !!

Here is the article I take as if it is written for me. This has all expressions about my tendencies, some answers which I give to others who never happen to understand why I am talking what I wam talking. Aptly said, "I want to break free". This is true that even if I am in company of one or many I tend to go quiet, all by myself enjoying the beauty of place I am visiting. Does it sound selfish? Yes, I think I turn selfish when I want to laud the beauty of my surroundingd and please me with my own thoughts with what I am witnessing... yes, a philosphical nut that even I am.

This is yet another piece of writting which I appreciate to the core. I mention the mantras here but all who are interested in reading the entire article can check the link :
http://specials.rediff.com/getahead/2005/aug/24sld.htm

My vacation, my rules!
The most common reason for a lot of solo travellers is that it can be very liberating -- right from the initial planning process to the actual trip, logistics, places to visit: The entire experience. YOU decide where you want to go, when, for how long, how much money to spend, what to spend on, who to speak to, what to see when you get to the destination -- everything. Every last detail of the trip is customised to your whims and fancies. You do not have to entertain interests of your friends, partners, children -- whoever is traveling with you.
Mind you, listening to others is not a bad thing at all. But then again, it's nice to have things completely your way every once in a while. All in all travelling alone is an amazingly selfish, self-centred, and all-indulging source of entertainment. But there is another reason too.
Your own kaleidoscope
Travelling alone will offer you a completely different perspective of the place, the journey, the people you meet, the things you do. And if you are a philosophical nut like me, then on life and on yourself as well. You are not distracted by the opinions, whining, gossiping, jokes, and comments of fellow travellers.
Travel light, travel fast
Just as a light backpack will allow you to get to the top of a mountain faster, travelling alone will allow you to cover more ground. You make pit-stops only for yourself. You stop only when you are tired. You spend time only at places that interest you -- the examples are endless.
Does it get lonely?
Yes and no.
Travelling alone to faraway destinations is no different from travelling to places in your hometown that you are not familiar with. You ask for directions in advance, avoid travelling at night, have all your senses on full alert, and do not talk to shady characters in shady places.

Travelling solo in India is fairly safe. Barring a few states and areas, people in smaller towns and villages are extremely warm and welcoming. On a personal note, I have found I tend to talk to locals and other tourists on buses, trains, dhabas, and tourist offices more frequently when I am travelling alone than if I am with companions. This allows me to catch the pulse of a place, learn of shortcuts, places to visit and stay, get tip-offs on good restaurants, where to catch shopping deals -- things no amount of research can offer.

Thus, an action-packed schedule and the company of a good book ensures that loneliness never creeps into any of my trips.
10 mantras for travelling alone
i. Plan, plan, plan.
ii. New to travelling alone? Start with destinations closer to home: for example weekend getaways.
iii. Always leave detailed information of your destination and mode of transport with family/friends -- these are invaluable in the event of an emergency.
iv. Book tickets in advance -- they arrive confirmed and often cheaper.
v. When planning your destination, keep a lookout for other places close to your destination.
If for any reason you do not like the place you reach or are done with it sooner than you think, the weather is bad, no hotels are available -- anything -- you should have a backup option.
vi. When planning your trip, ensure you are travelling in the right season; extreme weather can add nuisance value to your trip.
On the other hand try to travel at the very start or the very end of the tourist season. You may find fewer tourists at the location and competitive prices for food and accommodation.
vii. Packing right is critical. Define your necessities carefully and only carry what you need -- keep the hairdryer at home.
viii. Avoid travelling or arriving at a destination at night, unless you absolutely have to or are certain of the safety of the journey.
ix. Always trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable about a place, hotel, person, guide, you need to find a crafty way to exit the situation.
x. Be sensitive to local cultures.
Do not litter, avoid plastic bags -- leave no traces of your visit.
Good luck and happy travelling!!

Comments

Hardeep said…
Hello philosophical nut ... good article!!
Aks said…
Hey !
Thanks, though its not mine but speaks almost everything I told you about why I wanted to go on a solo vacation. I felt very much same when I went to Agra all by myself, ofcourse then later to be accompanied by friends. It was a good mix. I feel like doing the same again :-)
Monika said…
nice one, agree with quite some points but personally i am not the one to be travelling alone... love to travel though but not alone :( :)

Popular posts from this blog

Even This Will Pass Away

'kyon'